Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Johnny, what do you make of this?



I read that Peter Graves died yesterday. He was an actor known to most older people for his role in the TV series, Mission Impossible, but I remember him best as Captain Oveur in Airplane! I distinctly recall the first time I saw the movie. I was a freshman in college. I was supposed to be studying for a test but wandered into the living room to hang with my dad for a few minutes. He was channel surfing and came across a late night showing of the film. I thought I would just sit down for a few minutes and then get back to studying, but two hours later, Dad and I were still there. I'm not sure how I did on that exam. Probably not as well as I would have had I not got distracted. It was all completely worth it. Dad and I were both night people. I have so many found memories of staying up late with him when I was a kid, watching The Tonight Show, or a baseball game, or an old movie. We had a lot of laughs that night, watching Airplane! The best part of that movie, obviously, is the dialog. All these years later, most people can still quote at least one line. Here a a few of my favorites:

"Johnny, What do you make of this?" "Well, I can make it a hat, a broach, or a pterodactyl"

Joey, have you ever been in a Turkish prison?"

"Guess I picked a bad week to stop sniffing glue."

Hanging Lady: Nervous?
Ted Styker: Yes
Handing lady: First time?
Ted Stryker: No, I've been nervous lots of times

Elaine: "There's no reason to become alarmed, and we hope you'll enjoy the rest of your flight. By the way, is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane? "

Johnny (after unplugging the runway lights): Just kidding!

Young Boy with Coffee: Excuse me, I happened to be passing, and I thought you might like some coffee. Little Girl: Oh, that's very nice of you, thank you. [takes coffee] Little Girl: Oh, won't you sit down? Young Boy with Coffee: Cream? Little Girl: No, thank you, I take it black, like my men.

Elaine Dickinson: Would you like something to read? Hanging Lady: Do you have anything light? Elaine Dickinson: How about this leaflet, "Famous Jewish Sports Legends?"




No comments:

Post a Comment