Saturday, January 8, 2011

I'm hooked

Darn you The Biggest Loser....why are you so compelling? Last Tuesday, I turned on the TV for a little background noise as I was cooking in the kitchen. The TV was tuned to NBC and the popular weight loss competition was on. In the past, I've resisted watching this show as I'm not a huge fan in general of reality based television. At first, I stayed a safe distance from the TV, occasionally looking up to catch a few moments. However as the contestants back stories unfolded and the teams took the long agonizing walk up to the scale to be weighed and judged by all for the first time, I quickly found myself glued to the couch and thoroughly engrossed. Initially, I was also one those people being judgey, thinking to myself "how could anyone let themselves get that big". But very quickly compassion took over and complete disclosure here, I found myself tearing up more than once. Man, those producers really know how set up the show to tug on your heartstrings. Losing weight is incredibly hard. Those of us who have struggled to lose even a few pounds know that. Some of these people are staring down the daunting prospect of losing 80, 100 or even 200+ lbs. So now, every Tuesday evening I will be tuning in to watch these brave folks journey toward a healthier and hopefully happier existence. And, perhaps I'll be able to pick up a few training and eating tips that will assist me with the 10-15 lbs. I'd like to lose in the next few months. The Biggest Loser is helping to run a contest where for every pound people pledge to lose, an 11 cent donation will be made to our food banks to help needy people. Check it out http://www.pfpchallenge.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment