Monday, October 19, 2009

The little TV that could


If you know me, then you know I have lousy luck with electronics. That less than ideal luck has seeped over into large appliances and heating and cooling devices. For example, in the last 2 weeks I have had to make two appointments at the Genius Bar at the Apple store for problems with my iPod shuffle and iPhone. The shuffle issue was unable to be fixed. Another new tiny iPod shuffle now graces my waistband while I work out. The jury is still out on my two-year old iPhone, but my fingers are crossed that my new SIM card will get the job done. I have had 4 water heaters at my condo in 16+ years. One of them flat out burst open at 3:00 a.m. and flooded my kitchen, along with doing quite a bit of damage to my downstairs neighbor's drywall. Right now, both of my home telephones don't work. Over the years, this list has been endless....with one notable exception.

Very soon after I graduated from college in the spring of 1989, I made my first ever major electronics purchase; a 19" Philips color television. Over the years, larger TV's were purchased for my living room and my little Philips was moved to my bedroom. In the last few years, I figured that little TV would crap out on me, giving me the perfect excuse to move my 32" TV to my room, and invest in a new 42" hi-def flat screen. But, like the little engine that could, this TV refuses to go down without a fight. The picture is still sharp and the color still true. The only investment I have ever had to make is a new $15 universal remote control. With the exception of my family and a few childhood friends, this is the longest relationship I have ever had. This TV has kept me company and helped me get to sleep at night. Congratulations Philips on making a product this reliable. In a world of less than ideal product longevity and planned obsolescence, lucky little 19" has taken a lickin' and keeps on tickin'. 20 years and counting.

1 comment:

  1. Aw, Phil. What an awesome guy: loyal and hardworking. A girl could do worse. Don't get me started on how technology is overrated....

    ReplyDelete