Saturday, January 22, 2011

Unexpected inspiration and little victories


Earlier today, I headed over to the Petit Center to get a short training run in. When I arrived, the parking lot was packed. I assumed there was a big hockey or speed skating tournament I wasn't aware of. Actually, to my surprise, they were conducting an indoor 1/2 marathon with a full marathon to be held tomorrow. Since the track was closed to regular runners and walkers, I took a few minutes to watch the race. I'm feeling pretty inspired! The Petit Center is pretty inspiring already as hundreds of world class Olympic speed skaters, many from Wisconsin, have trained and competed there. Sometimes when I feel like I'm pulling a plow around that oval track, I look up to see a huge banner of Eric Heiden in that famous shiny yellow suit looking down. I can almost hear him saying "You can do this Mary....and, perhaps you might consider losing a bit of junk from your trunk?" As I was watching the competitors finished, I started doing the math. On the Petit track a 1/2 marathon is 48 laps. I confirmed with a fellow bystander that a full mile is 3 1/3 laps. I always thought it was 4! So, in the last few weeks, I've actually been running further than I thought. HOORAY! I know that's a pretty small thing, but in this larger war, I need to win every tiny battle I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment