Friday, August 21, 2009

Making the most of "funemployment"





On my last full free day of my last full free week of total "funemployment" I decided to make the most of the lovely day and take out my mountain bike for a spin on the Lake Country recreational trail. The trail head is located at the Landsberg Center just east of the Country Springs Hotel in Waukesha. The first 4.5 miles of the trail is a relatively flat, mostly gravel trail that meanders past lakes and golf courses, through blooming meadows and verdant marshes. It's not uncommon to see the occasional deer or wild turkey loitering near the trail, sometimes with little ones following closely behind. Just about when you have been lulled into a false sense of security about the level of difficulty of your ride, bam! You hit a very steep, seemingly endless 1/2 mile uphill section that has felled more than a few recreational cyclists. I'm in pretty good biking shape this season, but that didn't preclude me from putting my trusty Trek into the easiest granny gear possible as I attacked the hill. I'm sure the sight of me frantically pedaling my bike as I inched up the steep incline was pretty amusing to the golfers taking a break between holes at Naga-Waukee.

Once at the top, goal completed, you are rewarded with a lovely view of Pewaukee lake behind you. The trail continues through downtown Delafield and ends at Cushing Park. Delafield is one of my favorite little towns. With the Lang Co. influence apparent in almost every structure, visiting there is like taking a step back 100 years into the past. You almost expect to see ladies in petticoats, men in top hats and horse drawn carriages in the streets. I always stop at this charming little popcorn stand to grab a treat or a beverage before making the 7.5 mile return trip.

Funemployment has been good to me. This is the 4th time I've hit the trail this season. Most likely, I'll be completely re-employed within the next month or so. Soon after, the winter winds will begin to howl and the snow will fly. I'll see you next season LCRT.





No comments:

Post a Comment