Thursday, September 17, 2009

Risotto virgin no more


I'll admit it. The idea of attempting to make risotto frightened me. I'm not sure why. For nine years now I've taken on the massive undertaking that is the Thanksgiving Day meal (to mostly very positive reviews over the years) I've tackled time consuming yeast breads and roll out cookies (those always derailed my Mom) and attempted countless other culinary experiments over the years (to mixed reviews: A big, belated SORRY to family and friends who survived the monk fish incident of '03) But, for some reason attempting this delicious, Arborio-rice based dish struck the fear of God in me. Perhaps it's because I've had some delicious risottos in restaurants, and knew I'd be disappointed if I couldn't achieve similar results. Perhaps it's because my friend Stacy is an amazingly good, effortless cook and after repeated attempts, claims that she has never gotten it right. For whatever reason I've stayed a risotto virgin until just this week. I'm not sure what inspired me to take my first stab at it. I did see the movie Julie and Julia recently, and I think many people left that movie, rushed over to Barnes and Noble and snapped up Julia Child's 'Mastering the Art of French Cooking' with the goal of attempting the Boeuf Bourguignon that is predominantly featured in the film. Or, it could have been that just hours after my Mom handed me a big bag of fresh tomatoes from her garden, I happened across a Gordon Ramsay (he of Hell's Kitchen fame) recipe for tomato and mushroom risotto in of all places, my People Magazine. Who knew huh? Apparently, People is good for more than wiling away an hour of your life you're never getting back or seeing what celebrity "wore it best". Anyway, the recipe sounded delicious and seemed pretty easy. And, to my surprise, lo and behold, it was. One thing about making risotto is you have to be very patient and not prone to repetitive use injuries like carpal tunnel syndrome. It requires a lot of stirring as you have to add the liquids (one of the liquids is wine...so I recommended sipping some as you cook...helps pass the time) in stages and stir constantly while the rice absorbs it. All told, it takes almost an hour from start to finish. I think the results were worth the time. In fact, I think I'm adding this exact risotto recipe to my Thanksgiving 2009 menu. Here is the recipe for all who are interested. Good luck and enjoy!

Tomato & Mushroom Risotto

  • 1 large shallot, chopped finely
  • 4 tbsp. olive oil
  • 8 oz. Baby Bellas mushrooms, sliced
  • 10 oz. Arborio rice
  • 1/2 cup dry white wine
  • 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
  • 8 oz. plum tomatoes, skinned, seeded and finely chopped
  • 1 tbsp. each of chopped fresh basil and chives
  • 2 tbsp. mascarpone cheese
  • 3 tbsp. freshly grated Parmesean cheese
  • sea salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
1.) In a large saucepan saute the shallots with the olive oil for about 3 to 4 minutes and then add the mushrooms. Continue to saute for another 5 minutes, stirring frequently until softened.
2.) Stir in the rice and cook another minute or two. Add the wine, stir and cook until absorbed. Pour in a quarter of the chicken broth, bring to a boil and cook until absorbed.
3.) Gradually stir in the rest of the broth over 15-20 minutes, adding more as each previous amount is absorbed. This helps to give you a creamy risotto.
4.) When the rice is al dente, fold in the tomatoes and herbs. Check the seasoning and stir in the cheeses. Serve in warmed bowls and top with shaved, aged parmesan.









1 comment:

  1. Yummmmmmmy. Risotto is one of my least favorite things to cook (although I love eating it) because it causes me to be tethered to the pot. And I generally make it when people come over, which means I miss out on things because I'm barefoot (but not pregnant) in the kitchen while others are chatting it up. Wine does make the time pass. Congrats for tackling this!!

    ReplyDelete